Friday 26 November 2010

Modern Visual Culture in Video Gaming - Apache: Air Assault

Hello everybody (the few of you who actually follow this).

I've been rather busy lately with a couple of games I've found. One of them is called Apache: Air Assault.
The game is sort of a helicopter semi-simulation. You get to fly with the American Apache in different missions and blow things up, simple yet so elegant. The game can be played with just mouse and keyboard, but I'd recommend using joystick, keyboard AND mouse. Joystick for flying, keyboard and mouse for different cameramodes and for aiming the undernose cannon. The game will not satisfy hardcore SIM-fans because of it's arcade feel, but people such as me who do not demand 100% authenticity when it comes to flying and maneuvering a craft such as an assault helicopter. I'm glad that they took the arcadey approach for I know that helicopter are way trickier to fly in real life than airplanes, and it's no different in videogames. I can barely fly a Messerschmit in IL-2 in realistic settings so flying a chopper with realistic settings would be suicide for me. The game looks just awesome, and I get giggly inside when I autohover my Apache just outside a village, pop in to the gunners place, start up the heatvision camera which is also wired to the undernose cannon, and look how little white dots run around in the village.. before firing upon them, and their little white bodies disappear in a cloud of dust and smoke, only to be emerged once more as a hole ridden corpse. I like this game, I like this game quite a lot.. even if it's nothing more than a glorified turn-your-brains-off-and-shoot-everything-that-moves kinda game. I was also kind enough to record some gameplay footage for you all, so here you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment